If you have many Pending items that do not belong to your faculty member, or, you aren't retrieving all of their publications, you will need to modify your Search Settings to improve the accuracy of the searches, and re-run your search.
How do I modify my publication search settings in Symplectic Elements?
Answer: If you have many Pending items that do not belong to your faculty member, or, you aren't retrieving all of their publications, you will need to modify your Search Settings to improve the accuracy of the searches, and re-run your search.
Step by Step:
1. Log in to profiles.scholars.virginia.edu using your Netbadge ID and password.
2. Click on the Impersonate Another User button at the very top of your screen.
3. Choose your department from the Member of group list:
4. A list of faculty will appear at the bottom of the page. Click on a name to proceed to their Profile page.
5. Now you need to study up on this faculty member. Search the Web for a UVA bio page, departmental page, lab website, or Google Profile. Find bio information that shares where this person did his or her degree work, fellowships, post-docs, and held other positions. We want to include that information in the Elements profile to help retrieve citations he produced in those roles.
8. Return to Symplectic Elements and Impersonate your faculty member if you aren't already
9. You will now be on the Home page of the faculty profile.
10. First we should check the Search Settings. Click on Menu, then under My Account, click on Name-based Search.
11.Scroll down to Name-based searches. Check the Name Variants that are included. A default search has variants such as last name and initials, and/or last name, first name:
To add variants (e.g to add last name, first initial), type in the name, then click the + button to save your entry. When you are finished, click the Save button at the very bottom.
If the faculty member typically publishes with only has one initial, you will probably need to include that as a variant, but be careful - it can retrieve many erroneous citations. It's optional to try the last name + first name at this point. Remember you can always gather citations in stages.
12. Now you must add Addresses, including the faculty member's previous institutions, to the search settings. Use simple names and avoid the words "university" or "college" (see below). Again, use the + to add the names, and make sure to Save at the bottom.
13. Now we can Reset the pending publications. Click on Home, then the Claim Publications button, then click on the link to Clear and recalculate the Pending list:
16. Now we should run our search based on our new settings (it may run automatically). Return to the Search Settings page as in Step 10. Click on the Run my searches button:
17. Return to your home page, where you will see a notice if there are any new publications for you to claim or reject:
18. Click on the Claim publications button, and follow the instructions at "How Do I Claim or Reject Pending Publications in my Symplectic Elements UVA Faculty Profile".
19. Note that you may also add identifiers such as ORCID IDs to your search. See our guide on using Automatic Claiming in your Symplectic Elements profile.