If you have many Pending items that do not belong to your faculty member, or, you aren't retrieving all of their publications, you will need to modify your Search Settings to improve the accuracy of the searches, and re-run your search.
How do I modify my publication search settings in Symplectic Elements?
Answer: If you have many Pending items that do not belong to your faculty member, or, you aren't retrieving all of their publications, you will need to modify your Search Settings to improve the accuracy of the searches, and re-run your search.
Step by Step:
1. Log in to profiles.scholars.virginia.edu using your Netbadge ID and password.
2. Click on the Impersonate Another User button at the very top of your screen.
3. Choose your department from the Member of group list:
4. A list of faculty will appear at the bottom of the page. Click on a name to proceed to their Profile page.
5. Now you need to study up on this faculty member. Search the Web for a UVA bio page, departmental page, lab website, or Google Profile. Find bio information that shares where this person did his or her degree work, fellowships, post-docs, and held other positions:
6. We see that Dr. Turner got advanced degrees from Vanderbilt, and also did a post-doc at Hawaii.
7. We want to include that information in his profile to help retrieve citations he produced in those roles.
8. Return to Symplectic Elements and Impersonate your faculty member if you aren't already
9. You will now be on the Home page of the faculty profile.
10. First we should the your Search Settings. Click on Menu, then under Manage, click on Search Settings.
11.Scroll down to Name-based searches. First, follow the instructions for adding Name Variants to your search. A typical search has last name then two initials:
Typically we will add the lastname, first name and any previous names. To add variants, type in the name, then click the + button to save your entry. When you are finished, click the Save button at the very bottom.
If the faculty member only has one initial, you will probably need to include that. It's optional to include the first initial at this point (e.g. Turner, S.) - we may want to do that on a second pass.
12. Now, you must add Addresses (the faculty member's institutions) to the search settings. Use simple names and avoid the words "university" or "college" (see below). Again, use the + to add the names, and make sure to Save at the bottom.
13. Now we can Reset the pending publications. Click on Menu, then Publications:
14. Click on the Pending tab.
15. Click on the link to Clear and recalculate the Pending list:
16. Now we should run our search based on our new settings (it may run automatically). Return to the Search Settings page (as in Step 10. Click on the Run my searches button:
17. Return to your home page, where you will see a notice if there are any new publications for you to claim or reject:
18. Click on the Claim publications button, and follow the instructions at "How Do I Claim or Reject Pending Publications in my Symplectic Elements UVA Faculty Profile".